PARTNERS IN EDUCATION
The Montessori School of Oakton is not just a good place for children; it is a wonderful place for families. We strive to be a community of parents, teachers and students working in partnership to fulfill our school’s mission. Parent involvement is an integral part of the school community. Besides the obvious benefits of shared communications and direct support to the functioning of the school, your interest in the school shows your child that MSO holds an important place in your lives and that you value the experience.
Our families come together frequently throughout the year for celebration, planning and education. These gatherings are made possible through the collaboration of parent volunteers and school staff.
The Montessori School of Oakton has an active Parents Association. The purpose of this association is to provide a support group to staff and administration of MSO. The organization is a vehicle through which parents have the opportunity to become an active part of the school community. There are many ways to participate.
All parents who have children currently enrolled in the Montessori School of Oakton are automatically members of the MSO Parents Association.
- To provide a means through which parents can work together with staff and students for the benefit of all children.
- To provide a means through which parents can meet and get to know each other better.
- To raise monies through fundraising activities that will be used to enhance the school environment to the benefit of all children.
GIVING AND GETTING INVOLVED
Since its founding in 1981, The Montessori School of Oakton has always tried to keep tuition affordable and simultaneously maintain the high standard of excellence of our programs. Like most independent schools, we have found this to be an ongoing challenge. Annual fundraising events help to bridge the gap that exists between tuition revenue and operating expenses. Our longevity and strength has been made possible by the generous donations of time, talent and funding from those who came before. Each year we ask our extended community to support our fundraising programs that provide for today’s students and help to ensure a strong future for new generations of MSO children. Annual fundraising is a significant form of parent involvement; it represents a family’s meaningful support of this school and the work that we do.
Here are a few ways in which fundraising revenues make a difference:
- Keep tuition moderate which supports diversity in our community
- Tuition assistance to families with financial need
- Maintain beautiful and well equipped classrooms
- Provide continuing education and staff development opportunities for our outstanding staff
- Contribute to the cost of the Elementary Class Youth Opera productions
- Contribute to the physical enhancements of our facility – inside and out
- Fall Fair
- Spring Social/Auction
- Annual Book Fair
- Several smaller sales events sponsored by our Elementary class
This year we will also be including in our efforts several Purchase Programs – shopping affiliate programs that return to our school a percentage of the purchases that you would make anyway. These include:
- Giant – “A+ Bonus Bucks” Each time you use your bonus card MSO will earn Bonus Bucks, which convert into cash. The school is registered as the Elementary Montessori School of Oakton. All you have to do is designate us as the recipient of your bonus bucks. You can do this at any Giant store or at their web site www.giantfood.com, under our stores then A+ bonus bucks school designation. Our school ID# is 02057.
- Safeway – Safeway offers a similar program through eScrip. You can log on to escrip.com to register. Our school is registered as the Montessori School of Oakton. Our school ID# 500020713.
- Target – “Take Charge of Education” Apply for and use a Target VISA or Target Store Card. Target will match 1% of every purchase made at the Target website and stores and ½% of any purchase made elsewhere. Visit www.target.com/tcoe or the in-store customer service desk to get started. MSO is registered as Oakton Elementary Montessori School, our ID # is23737.
- Office Depot 5% “Back to Schools” Program – Families and friends can receive credits for free supplies by purchasing qualified supplies online www.officedepot.com or at Office Depot stores. Our ID# is 70218004.
- Land’s End – Land’s End gives back a percentage of school uniform purchases. Our school ID# is on the uniform catalogs.
- Montessori Services – Montessori Services gives back a percentage of purchases made from their “Small Hands” catalog before December 31. Our school ID # is on the catalogs.
- Barnes & Noble – Our Elementary students will be hosting a Book Fair at the Fair Lakes Barnes & Noble in December. At this event high quality books appropriate for all ages, reading levels and interests will be available. During the day of the event, Barnes & Noble will contribute a percentage of book purchases made by customers who present an MSO coupon. The students will also be gift wrapping customer purchases.
- Box Tops for Education – General Mills and partnering products such as Cheerios and Betty Crocker, will contribute 10 cents for every box top coupon we submit.
Support and service to an organization that you believe in, is not just something that we ask of MSO parents; it is a core lesson that we teach our students beginning at the earliest level. Our students are groomed in an environment that values helpfulness and support; they are given daily opportunities to aid their peers and contribute to the maintenance of their classroom and community. As elementary students, they do service work outside the classroom throughout the year. These experiences shape our students and hopefully they leave us ready, willing and able to contribute to society through a lifetime of leadership and service. We hope that as an MSO parent you will engage in this same lesson. We encourage you to get involved. We acknowledge that levels of support and involvement will differ for each family. It is our hope that each MSO family will find the level of involvement that is comfortable and meaningful for them.
- Welcome and hospitality
- Fall Fair
- Vienna Halloween Parade ( Elementary)
- International Pot Luck Dinner
- Pizza/Movie Night
- Spring Social and Silent Auction
- Book Fair
- Breakfast with Dad
- Mother’s Day Tea
- Gardening and Grounds
- Fall and Spring class picnics